Last week we talked about lifestyle piece to balance the summer season. This week I will offer suggestion on the shifts we can make to our yoga practice to support balancing pitta dosha.
Yoga Practices for Summer
· Cooling, non-competitive, relaxing practice – practices like hatha, yin, and yoga therapy are excellent in the summer
· Work with the eyes closed to encourage inward focus.
· Practice in creative ways that encourage intuitive reflection instead of comparison or competition.
· Avoid creating too much heat – especially in the head.
· Incorporate moon salutations, lots of twists, straight legged poses (especially when standing), and forward bends that stretch the inner and outer legs.
· Emphasize relaxing during exhalation.
· Smooth, slow, rhythmic breath – even inhalations and exhalations – for better aeration and to stabilize Agni.
· Shitali or Shitakari (cooling breaths) are considered good to release heat in the body, skin, emotions or mind.
· Metta meditation (loving kindness) is helpful to transform anger, resentment or hatred.
Allow your practice to slowly shift to incorporate these ideas, and notice the effects… Less frustration and irritability? More compassion for others? A cool calm mind?
Please let me know how it goes by posting a comment below.
peace & love,