Last week we talked about lifestyle piece to balance the spring season. This week I will offer suggestion on the shifts we can make to our yoga practice to support balancing kapha dosha.
Yoga Practices for Spring
· A morning practice is very important – the kapha qualities are predominant in the morning between sunrise and 10am
· Emphasize a practice that is active and warming
· Include sun salutations, fluid vinyasas, squats, standing forward and backbends, and warming inversions (headstand and forearm balance)
· Focus on moving the prana (breath) into the seat of kapha – the chest and ribs – however let’s not forget to keep vata pacified by breathing into the low belly too
· Emphasize deep full breaths. Maybe even adding a slight pause after the exhalation
· Smooth and rhythmic ujjayi (ocean sounding) is helpful to warm the body, circulate the prana and fluids
· Kapalabhati and Bhastrika are excellent for melting excess kapha in the head and chest. These techniques in particular are best learned from a qualified yoga teacher.
· Open eyed, standing, or walking meditations work well.
· If imagery is part of your meditation practice, bring in spacious and warming imagery.
· Kirtan (chanting) is excellent to clear emotional heaviness from the heart and to strengthen the lungs.
Allow your practice to slowly shift to incorporate these ideas, and notice the effects… Less congestion? Lighter heart? More spring in your step?
Please let me know how it goes by posting a comment below.
peace & love,