Over the years I have discovered that yoga is more than just a physical practice, for me anyway. As I maneuver my way around my community, as I work through my days as Youth Worker, or as I interact with my children, I am constantly looking for ways to bring yoga into my every day. And this is what it looks like:
- making sure that I pass a smile along as I go about my daily business.
- ensuring that everyone feels that they have been heard.
- taking the time to encourage youth to find their voice in a world that can sometimes feel overwhelming.
- advocating for people who don’t feel their voice is strong enough or worthy enough to be heard.
- encouraging people to push through some of those hard moments, because if they can make it past this hurdle, the other side can be an amazing place.
- connecting with others on their level.
- reading stories and encouraging creative thinking.
- finding ways to make the world smaller, and less frighting at times when it feels overwhelming.
- letting people know that they matter – that they deserve the space they take up in this world. In fact, sometimes I encourage them to take up more.
- loving people for who they are.
- creating space for others to grow – at their pace, not mine
- taking some time to read, write, or reflect on my own, as I need to show others that I am worthy too.
- coming to my mat, to find some peace in my own world.
As the saying goes, you can not pour from an empty cup, so as we go out looking for ways to take yoga off the mat, we need to make sure that we are also bringing the lessons learned on the mat with us. We live in a time where life requires us to step out of our comfort zone and become warriors within our communities. With that challenge comes the need to do a lot of soul searching, the need to figure out our passions and see where it is that we can light our spark and make change.
So as you begin on your journey, know that you are fully supported and full of the knowledge you need to create change and share your gift. You have everything you need within you to guide you, and I hope to hear about the ways you are bringing your yoga off your mat and into the world.
Peace, love, and happiness xo